This past Tuesday my COMM 497 class and I held a Social Media Bootcamp for organization leaders at Penn State. We broke up into teams and focused on a social media platform that is beneficial to organizations. My partner and I chose to present and research Instagram.
One thing that I really focused on during the presentation was the content that should be posted on Instagram. I put together the following list of content suggestions depending on the type of organization:
- Each Organization: birthdays, THON, members being involved on campus, Penn State Pride, social media contest
- Specialty Clubs (ex. cooking club):recipes, food, aprons, kitchen products, tips & tricks (info graph)
- THON Organizations: canning, THONvelope inspiration, countdown ,THON child(ren)
- Club Sports: new gear, game, player of the week, field view
- Sororities/Fraternities: philanthropy, members attending events, achievements, new apparel, founder’s day
During the presentation, I related different content to the organizations that were represented in each session. The audience nodded in agreement and had an understanding of where I was getting with the purpose of each post. The challenge with Instagram is not having something to post. If there are no events, meetings, or games, organizations get lost and are unsure of what to post. That is why we suggest they post a quote, or a picture of their members in apparel, or a picture of Penn State. Something that will keep the followers engaged and help the organization stay on their radar.
I referenced the Instagram account @asu_theta a lot. It is by far one of he best run Instagram accounts I have come across and I recommend clubs and organizations follow it for inspiration.
We had a great turn out at the event and ended it with an information session. Each one of the students from the class paired up with a different organization and went over their specific accounts. We offered advice and suggestions on how their organization can best utilize different social media platforms.
Thank you for a great event COMM497, I am so happy to be a part of such a great class!